Monday, December 7, 2009

World Cup Debut





This week we were in Altenber, Germany. Everyone jokes that there is nothing to do in Altenberg because from what we've seen it's pretty much the truth. The one pro to Altenberg is the Doner Kebab place that we go to (just about everyday). They have the best doners in the world! I had 5 doners over the course of the week. This is a big feat because each doner is about a foot and a half of A LOT of food! But it's so good you have no choice but to finish it. Our team has made friends with the owners. They are three really nice guys who I think secretly laugh at us because we are in there so often. But we can't help but resist the amaizing doners! We even made a stop on race day.
Race days on the senior circuit are very different from those on the junior secret. This was the first race in Germany so it was the first race that I saw a major difference. People actually come to watch the seniors, it's crazy!! I had the best time during the guys and doubles race. There was a band that sounded really good and looked even better in their clogs and mini capes. I also bought some noise makers at a stand and Kate bought an American flag and it was so much fun. I love race days! (Even when I'm not the one racing).
Yesterday I did race, and it was my first Senior World Cup. I was third off and was shaking at the start because I was so nervous. There were cameras in your face and it was just crazy competing with the best sliders in the world. I always count to three before I pull off and this time the count was a little longer. I wanted to stay in that moment for as long as I could (30 seconds before I would get disqualified). It was an awesome feeling. Megan is a little more used to this excitement so it was a breeze for her. She had two solid runs and ended up in 17th. I was expecting to come in last, but had two pretty good runs which landed me in 13th. I'd say that Altenberg was a success overall, especially the doners, they never fail!

2 comments:

  1. Do you think you can bring home a doner for Dad (and maybe some of those cute clogs)?? I think he's jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!!! I would say the doner might go bad... and we TRIED to trade for the clogs, but they weren't budging!!!! I wanted some for myself!!! Tell Dad he should have Bennett make him some... ;0) Love you guys!! Miss yall!!!!!

    ReplyDelete