Monday, December 14, 2009

Rookey Experiences



Megan and I have had two races since the last posting. We raced in Nations Cup on Firday and in the fourth World Cup of the season yesterday. We raced in Lillehammer, Norway where the sun barely reaches the sky at this time of the year. Maybe that was a good thing though because Megan flew in Nations Cup and got 3rd! I also qualified for the World Cup with a 7th place finish.
Yesterday was the last World Cup before Christmas. Which sometimes makes it difficult for me to focus because all I can seem to think about lately is the food I'm going to eat when I get home. I have even made a list, how bad is that! The food in Europe can be really good sometimes, but it gets old quickly. Especially in Norway, I've had more boiled potatoes than I have in my whole life combined. By now all I want is a buffalo chicken salad. I know that it's only a week away and that is taunting me. But the food aside I pulled it together for the race. The highlight of the race for me was after my second run. I got off the ice pleased with my run and Marketa (our team manager) took my sled and told me to go to the leaders box. I was so surprised. I think I even let out a "REALLY?!?" Last race I came down in second place so I didn't get to stand in the leaders box so this was my first leaders box experience. Honestly it's a little akward. You just stand there watching the run of the person after you on the TV in front of you and while you're watching there's a camera about a foot away from you in your face. Then once they show you on the TV you realise how bad you actually look after a race, helmet hair and all. I now know not to take off my helmet while in the leaders box. I guess these are the types of things that you learn as a rookey. When all was said in done Megan finished 13th and I finished 16th. It ended a good day for the both of us!

1 comment:

  1. Well...I think you look great no matter what hair style you have! Great job yesterday, Sweeney Sisters - and GOOD LUCK this week. We are all pulling for you!! Love you, Mom(ma)

    ReplyDelete