Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Follow Me to Vancouver

“Track is Clear for Megan Sweeney.” The clock dings. “Here we go Megan.” Looking down the tunnel of a track that lies ahead. I know what I have to do. “Clear your head Megan, “Take a breath, take it deep. Calm yourself. He says to me,”’ Rhianna runs through my mind. Big breathe, let it out. Pull down the face shield in one swift movement and listen for the click. Two taps of my spikes on the ice and I pull up on my runners to make sure I have flexibility in my sled.

“You can see my heart beating, you can see it through my chest. Take a breath; take it deep cause when we play. We play for keeps…” I glance at the ice, notice the purity, calm my breath and PULL. “AH!” One, Two, Three paddles. Quick settle, “CALM YOURSELF” make sure you’re on the right but not TOO close. Cut it left but not too much, let it up, BE SOFT, hold the sled straight, take it out on the straight away, that’s it. Nice and easy, put your shoulders back, RELAX. Head back, feet up. Nice and easy Megan hold your right handle, go middle into Curve 5, let it up, take it out, be soft. That’s it, guide it into 6- let it go, let it go, RELAX in the entrance, nice and soft. Let it run, let it run, let it run… this is the longest curve EVER, okay nice and easy, guide it out, all the way out, roll back…

Into 7 Megan, middle entrance let it up, from middle take it out, nice and easy all the way, DON’T let up. Middle into 8 no earlier! Let it climb in 8 over middle, let it fall and return back to neutral Megan NICE and EASY, BE SOFT. A little right handle, don’t let it drift away from the curve, don’t let it drift… let it up and ROLL OUT! Don’t get late into 10. Switch your weight down, quick steer! Let it loop, okay let it loop just a littttllleeee, tap and roll back! DON’T go late into 11! Let it up! Look for the exit! RELAX, RELAX trust yourself! Let it go, be ready for 12, CRAP! I’m too early, ABSORB the entrance, and keep your weight down! Quick steer! UNWEIGH- let the sled climb, trust yourself, trust yourself, tap it off the end! ROLL OUT! Curve 13! WEIGHT DOWN! HEAD BACK! SHOULDERS BACK! Quick entrance! QUICK pound of the right runner, HOLD UP!! Don’t let the sled fall; steer HARD, ALL THE WAY OUT MEGAN! FIGHT! Shoulders back! Pull hard on that right handle! DON’T HIT THE WALL!!!!!!!!! RELAX!!!!!!! Trust yourself….

Let the sled go, not too early into 14, not too early…. K, Let it up, don’t touch anything! Roll out and back, don’t get too early into 15, Roll down, steer quick, hold it up, keep yourself level, Take it off HARD, ROLL BACK! Stretch Megan, Stretch, head back and feet up. Run it, run it out, Stretch ALL THE WAY OUT! RRREEEEAAAACCCCCHHHHH where is it! Where’s the line, point your toes, DONE! Now where is it? Where’s my time, where is it!?!!!!!???!?!? You’ve done it, you’ve done it… Thank You God, Thank you. You’ve done it…. You’ve done it.

2 comments:

  1. Yes - YOU HAVE DONE IT!! And you have more than earned it!! Eleven years of training - two months of events - across five countries - for five race-offs - with four World Cup events - and it all came down to one more race. And YOU DID IT! You showed the world that they can throw any obstacles they want - you will still overcome them! So proud of both you girls - you are beautiful, strong, independent (sometimes too much!), caring women. And the USA is lucky to have you carry the country's pride along with your family's!! Love you both so much - see you tomorrow! Mom(ma)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAY TO GO MEGAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do have tears in my eyes as I read this post. It just amazes me that one of our younger generation can be so sure of herself, so confident, so mature, so willing to expose so much of herself to both success and possible failure. And to expose her thoughts in the same way.
    Megan, if you approach everything you do in life the same way you have approached this long, maddening fight for an Olympic berth, then I truly believe you will be successful in whatever you set your mind to. And Emily, the same goes for you, too. I am not only proud of you two, and proud of your Mom and your Dad for letting you both follow your dreams, but I am jointly proud with all of us extended Sweeneys/O'Donals who have only been able to see it through second-hand and third hand sources.
    I am going to have to either buy a new TV, or buy a ticket to Vancouver in February. Hey! That's it! I have already planned to take the week of my birthday off this year. (week of Feb. 25) Is that too late? I am absolutely going nuts over here in Maine, While all the excitement is in Connecticut, and Canada, and all over this World. Half the time I feel like smiling, but the other half of the time I get all Teary Eyed as the emotions take over. I am soooo absolutely proud to be related to the two most lovely, courageous, charming, worthy, surprisingly mature and literate lugers IN THE WORLD!!! YOU GO GIRLS!

    ReplyDelete