Friday, December 4, 2009

Magic Undies

So the Sweeney family has a mantra- "Oh we're the Sweeneys from Grandma's house. We're never very neat. We never wash our underwear..." I'm not going to continue that song but to set the record straight I DO (and I repeat DO) wash my underwear. At almost 23 years old I'm still getting the A-Okay from my mother about posting this blog but I decided to let you into the mind of an athlete. And sometimes the ridiculousness that includes truly believing you've got magic underwear...

I was getting ready this morning, in the SAME thing I get dressed in for every race. Year to year this might change slightly based on the new schwag we've recieved or the crappy last race that I had in the former stuff which is no longer bringing me good luck... but this year I've switched things up ONCE in Calgary. I put on a black sports bra, not my regular hot pink one. I put on these awesome "weigh-in underwear" that were hot pink and black plaid from Victoria's Secret! I felt so bad ass... ready to go and WIN this race! But they weren't my normal white and hot pink cotton underwear from the GAP that I got in Lake Placid, NY one weekend that I had rushed up to camp and forgotten possibly one of the most important articles of clothing to some... my undies. And I'm pretty sure I did anything but win that Calgary race.

These underwear that ask over and over again "Naughty or Nice?" set my mind right. I pull those babies on and it's game time. It's sick actually if I step back for a minute and think about what I'm saying to you! Slightly embarrassed at my confession. But you know what? I'm okay with it! So I'm going to continue to get dressed in the same thermal top and spandex from CWX, the same ugly white socks with red, white, and blue stars all over them, my earrings, and my "Infinite Potential" bracelet complete me. I'll pop a piece of Orbitz Wintermint gum in my mouth, throw in my iPod and I'm ready to rock! But it all starts with the magic undies... ;0)

3 comments:

  1. OK - so whatever you're doing to "fix" that Calgary thing, it's working...so keep it up!! And maybe there's a marketing angle to the "magic undies"...we could make some money off this one...?!

    But for now...SLIDE FAST, SWEENEY SISTERS, SLIDE FAST!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling I know what you are going to get more of at Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be very difficult to see pics of you now in your slick, U.S. luge uniforms and NOT visualize the hot pinks underneath!

    Keep it up - both of you - you're doing awesome! We've got luge-watchers from Georgia to Minnesota on pins and needles watching you along with us. Lots of love - Ellyn, Tim & Kids

    ReplyDelete